Saturday, July 28, 2007

Market happenings

It was a nice sunny day! We met one blogger and one blog reader.....hello ladies!

Belinda and I rolled up slightly later than the early birds, being newbies and all. The chilly wind was freezing my arse off and we were praying for the sun to come our way quick, as our allocated spot was in the shade.

After a bit of sorting out and unpacking, this is what our stall looked like.




And here I thought we might not have enough stock.....we ended up filling two trestle tables with our wares. Claudine made patchwork totes and softies. I brought the smocks and the pram blankies. Belinda had her cushions and tissue holders. Corrie had japanese fabric fat quarters, japanese craft books and lots of other retromummy goodies.

I managed to sell a few pram blankies and a smock.....so not too bad, considering we may have misjudged our target audience with this market. After going for a wander around the other stalls, it became clearer that it was mostly a second hand everything - apparel, bags, shoes and homewares - kind of market. Probably should've staked it out first. We learn something new everyday!

Each of us managed to sell a decent amount of our stuff, too. Hooray! Which means we will be doing some more markets in the future.

Okey dokey! Hope everyone's having a good weekend.....I'm knackered. See you next week!

12 comments:

Di said...

Congratulations on your first market success! It sounds like it was a fun day!

Corrie said...

it was a great day and thanks for some stall photos!!! i enjoyed it and look forward to next time!
Corrie:)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Well done girls, hope my tips helped you. The stall looked really colourful & eye catching, love it!! Trust me, if i can get a retro & vintage style market scene happing in Darwin, at an Asian food & Tropical Smoothie style market, with made in Bali stuff, massage tents, a million jewellery stalls & bizarre live music - you can do it!! It takes repetition & people getting used to you being there. Well done, love Posie

Dudley Redhead said...

It did look great! Maybe try Mosman market - they seem to be a regular thing. I was surprised at how many stalls were the ex-contents of peoples wardrobes.It has been more of a mix on my previous visits. But you need to find the mothers...where were the scarves you were modelling?! well done for getting there.

Cathy said...

glad it went well and you have learnt from your experience.

have a nice sleep!!!

dutchcomfort said...

The stall looked great! Nervous experience isn’t it, your first market. I did one years ago together with a friend. We sold paper-maché ‘art’. We had so much fun, though it was outside and very cold. Have a nice weekend and some rest!

Thimbleanna said...

Hey! The stall looks great and it sounds like you had a good time! Thanks for sharing your photos -- I was wondering how it went this morning.

Anonymous said...

I loved your stall on Saturday and am so happy to hear you will be doing more in the future. It was so breezy in the morning that I was tempted to buy a snuggly pram blankie just for myself!

SadieandLance said...

Congrats on the market, sounds great! Wish I was in Sydney so I could have dropped by and bought some stuff from you guys.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the sales! i the next market is bigger/better!

62cherry said...

looks wicked! well done :)

Kylie said...

The stall looks great - and congrates on your sales - I did a market in Darwin last year as well - the first was a flop - but the christmas one was a HIT!